Better Plants Meat

In recent years, there has been a growing trend towards plant-based meat. These products are made from 95% plant-based ingredients, with the remaining 5% being made up of mushrooms or other compounds. Plant-based meat is produced by processing plants to make them close to real meat in terms of aroma, shape and taste. As a result, plant-based meat products are becoming increasingly popular as vegetarian-friendly options. By eating plant-based meat, people are able to enjoy all the taste and texture of real meat without any of the negative health consequences. In addition, plant-based meat is often more environmentally sustainable than traditional meat products. As more people become aware of the benefits of plant-based meat, it is likely that this trend will continue to grow in popularity.


The better plant-base idea comes from Equinom company and Matt Begemann

If you’ve ever had a bad experience with plant-based meat.While many people are drawn to these products for their health benefits, they often end up disappointed by the taste and texture. According to one food scientist, much of the blame lies with the plants themselves. In an interview with The Spoon, Max Goldberg explained that plants contain a host of molecules that can cause off-flavors. These include compounds like terpenes and phenols, which are responsible for the characteristic taste and smell of plants. However, when it comes to creating plant-based meat alternatives, he thinks flavor isn’t the most important thing—what’s vital is recreating the mouthfeel of animal products.

Mung beans are a type of legume that originated in Asia. They have a mild flavor and interesting properties, like their ability to form a gel. The food company Eat Just has successfully created a plant-based egg alternative using mung beans that has been on the market since 2018. Other companies, like Mikuna—which produces edible plant protein—are trying to introduce alternative crops, like the Andean lupin, into our diets. While there is still some way to go before plant-based proteins can completely replace animal proteins in our diets, they offer a promising solution to the problem of sustainable food production.

That’s according to Alina Meirovitch, co-founder and CEO of Equinom, a company that uses cutting-edge breeding technology to develop new crop varieties with improved characteristics. “There are many factors that influence the taste and texture of plant-based food, but the protein makes the biggest impact by far because it’s the most prominent ingredient by volume in a plant-based burger, aside from water,” she explains. In her view, “protein is what separates a mediocre, dry, beany burger from a truly delicious and juicy meaty burger.” Equinom is constantly experimenting with different crop varieties in an effort to find the perfect plant-based burger protein. And once they find it, they’re not stopping there – they’re also exploring other elements it could bolster in its ingredients, such as water-holding capacity, which could improve juiciness. Meirovitch says Equinom would even like to tackle nutrition by combining different crops, such as sesame and pea protein, to give it a more complete amino acid profile.


 

Source Information

https://www.wired.com/story/meat-substitutes-breeding-better-beans/

https://gooddot.in/blogs/news/the-plant-based-meat-explained-detailed

https://www.uobam.co.th/srcm/publication/mlqur5zik/r5/zi/o0x0/UOBAM-ESG-Plant-based-meat-TH-Final.pdf

1 view